You know, your dog eats almost everything, but you always want to know what it should eat and what it should not eat. And getting new year’s goods at home is definitely the focus of the dogs stealing food! As a responsible pet parent, it’s normal to feel worried. Here, we will study and discuss a food you may have doubted about: sunflower seeds.
First of all, what are sunflower seeds?
Sunflower seeds refer to the fruits of sunflowers, not seeds. Sunflower seeds are pointed and consist of a black shell and inner core. The inner core is the edible part. So, is it safe for dogs to eat sunflower seeds?
Sunflower seed morphological characteristics
Sunflower seeds are composed of the pericarp (husk) and seeds, and seeds are composed of the seed coat, two cotyledons, and an embryo.
The pericarp is divided into three layers, the outer pericarp is membranous with short hairs; the middle fruit is leathery, hard, and thick; the inner pericarp is hairy. There are two large cotyledons in the seed coat, as well as radicles, embryos, and germs, without endosperm. The radicle, embryo stem, and embryo are located at the tip of the seed. The seed coat is composed of two layers of an outer epidermis and inner epidermis, showing a white film.
The fruit of sunflower seeds is achene. There is a separate seed (seed kernel) in the cavity of the achene, and there is a thin layer of seed coat on the seed. The color of the fruit is white, light gray, black, brown, and purple with wide stripes, narrow stripes, and no stripes.
Can dogs eat sunflower seeds?
The answer is yes. If you choose the correct type of sunflower seeds and the correct feeding method, your dog can safely eat sunflower seeds. But, more importantly, remember that any seeds must be peeled before being eaten by dogs. In addition, they should not be added with salt because high levels of sodium can cause health problems such as high blood pressure.
Dogs can safely eat sunflower seed kernels, but they cannot eat sunflower seed shells. If your dog eats unshelled seeds, health problems such as diarrhea and stomach upset may occur. Sunflower seeds are rich in nutrients, have a strong antioxidant function, and are rich in vitamin E, vitamin B1, vitamin B3, vitamin B6, and trace minerals such as copper, manganese, magnesium, and phosphorus. In addition, sunflower seeds are also rich in carbohydrates, protein, fat, and fiber. So, you know what are the benefits of sunflower seeds for dogs?!
Like most other nuts and seeds, sunflower seeds are good for skin health. Although the effects of sunflower seeds on the skin and hair of dogs need to be further studied, related studies have clarified that sunflower seeds can improve human skin. Can dogs also improve their skin and hair by eating sunflower seeds? Well, if they eat sunflower seeds safely, the situation seems to be the same. After all, sunflower seeds are rich in the healthy substances listed above. Relevant studies have proven that sunflower seeds are good for the skin and hair of dogs. But more importantly, realize that dogs can benefit from the correct consumption of sunflower seeds.
Sunflower seeds are good for dogs
Sunflower seeds are good for the health of dogs’ skin and hair. Sunflower seeds are rich in fatty acids, which help improve the skin and hair of dogs. Sunflower seeds are also an important source of vitamins for dogs, as well as a powerful antioxidant that can be sterilized. Sunflower seeds help reduce the level of bad cholesterol (LDL) and can also increase the level of good cholesterol in the body. This is because sunflower seeds contain a small amount of saturated fat, which is also the difference between sunflower seeds and other nuts and seeds. Sunflower seeds help mineralize bones. Sunflower seeds contain calcium, which helps in the formation of bones. However, not only calcium is essential for bone mineralization, copper, magnesium, and phosphorus are also basic elements for bone mineralization. Sunflower seeds also help promote stable sleep. This is because the seeds contain an amino acid called tryptophan, which is also an important component of serotonin.
The therapeutic value of sunflower seeds
1. Sunflower seeds contain up to 50% fat, mainly unsaturated fat, and no cholesterol; the content of linoleic acid can reach 70%, which helps to reduce the blood cholesterol level of the human body and is beneficial to protect cardiovascular health.
2. Rich in iron, zinc, potassium, magnesium, and other trace elements, sunflower seeds can prevent anemia. It is also a good source of vitamin B1 and vitamin E.
3. Eating a handful of sunflower seeds every day can meet the vitamin E that the human body needs for a day.
4. It is good for calming mood, preventing cell aging, and preventing adult diseases.
5. It can treat insomnia and enhance memory. It has a certain preventive effect on cancer, high blood pressure, and neurasthenia.
6. In addition to being rich in unsaturated fatty acids, it also contains a variety of vitamins, folic acid, iron, potassium, zinc, and other essential nutrients for the human body. Sunflower seeds contain a lot of dietary fiber, and every 7g of sunflower seeds contains 1 gram, which is much higher than the dietary fiber content of apples.
7. The National Cancer Institute of the United States is proving that eating fiber can reduce the incidence of colon cancer. The iron content in sunflower seeds is twice that of raisins and peanuts, so it can also prevent the occurrence of anemia.
8. The protein of sunflower seeds contains arginine. Arginine is an indispensable ingredient for making semen.
Are sunflower seeds harmful to dogs?
If you find that your dog has eaten some sunflower seeds when you go home, don’t worry; if your dog eats sunflower seed shells, or eats a lot of sunflower seeds at once, this may cause problems.
Are salted sunflower seeds toxic to dogs? Are sunflower seeds poisonous to dogs?
Salted sunflower seeds are non-toxic, but too much salt can cause extreme thirst, frequent urination, and sodium toxicity; related symptoms may include vomiting, tremor, diarrhea, high blood pressure, and even epilepsy. It is important to realize that these symptoms are extremely dangerous and may even lead to death. This means that although salted sunflower seeds are non-toxic, you can’t let your dog eat them because they may damage your dog’s digestive system. You can feed your dog raw sunflower seeds or roasted sunflower seeds, as long as they do not add any salt or spices.
Can dogs eat sunflower seed shells?
As we mentioned above, sunflower seed husks are harmful to dogs, so dogs should not eat sunflower seed husks. Sunflower seeds in the shell are difficult to digest, and if they get stuck in the gastrointestinal tract, the problem is serious. Animals cannot chew sunflower husks as well as humans. During the chewing process, if the sunflower seed shells are not chewed apart or chewed insufficiently when they come to the gastrointestinal tract, it will cause stomach upset. On the other hand, the sharp sunflower seed husk may get into the dog’s esophagus, causing pain in the esophagus, and may even scratch the dog’s digestive tract. If you find that your dog has eaten a lot of shelled sunflower seeds, the first thing you must do is induce vomiting.
What about sunflower oil?
Sunflower oil is harmful to dogs and may cause symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting. Don’t panic, a small amount of sunflower oil is fine, you just need to drink a lot of water for your dog immediately to help him empty his stomach, and don’t give him anything else for the next few hours. Your dog will be fine soon. However, ingesting a large amount of sunflower oil may cause pancreatic inflammation in dogs, especially when it is a small dog. If it is an adult or large dog, it is generally safer. Don’t worry too much. In addition, if your dog eats sunflower oil, it is best to contact the veterinarian as soon as possible.
How many sunflower seeds is too much?
46 grams of shelled sunflower seeds contain 269 calories, so they should be consumed in moderation. The rule of thumb, which is often mentioned, means that no more than 10 to 20 sunflower seeds should be fed to a puppy a week, and no more than 20 to 40 sunflower seeds should be fed to a large dog, which is about the area of a thumb. Although this may not seem like a lot, it is just not to let the dog eat too many sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds contain a lot of fat, so you can’t give them too much at one time. Sunflower seeds should not account for the bulk of the dog’s diet. A small amount is enough occasionally. Eating too much can cause serious health problems.
Precautions for feeding sunflower seeds to dogs:
1. Don’t give your dog too many sunflower seeds: it must be limited, because sunflower seeds are high in fat, and eating too much is likely to cause stomach pain.
2. Eat shelled sunflower seeds: It is dangerous to eat sunflower seeds with shells for dogs because the shells of sunflower seeds are difficult to digest, and there may be a risk of suffocation. If the dog swallows a large number of sunflower seeds in the shell, it will cause gastrointestinal obstruction, which is easily life-threatening.
3. Don’t give dogs salted sunflower seeds: Many sunflower seeds sold to people are salted. Before giving them to dogs, pay attention to whether the sunflower seeds are salted. If they are salted, don’t feed them. Give it to the dog. If you give your dog salted sunflower seeds, it will cause many serious health problems, including sodium poisoning. The symptoms of poisoning include frequent urination, thirst, diarrhea, vomiting, etc., and even cramps.
So, is it possible to feed the dog sunflower seeds without any problems? of course can! As long as you feed them carefully in small amounts, instead of letting them steal sunflower seeds, there is no problem for the dog. Some dogs will like to eat sunflower seeds, as long as you feed them in moderation, there is nothing to worry about. A small and moderate amount of sunflower seeds is actually good for dogs. However, we must pay attention that the sunflower seeds for dogs must be natural, and do not add any salt, spices, and other seasonings, and, for dogs to eat The sunflower seeds must be hulled. If you follow the above instructions strictly, in fact, eating sunflower seeds is beneficial to your dog. Not only is it beneficial to your dog’s skin and hair, but it also helps promote the production of good cholesterol in your dog’s body, as well as many other benefits. So, if your dog likes to eat sunflower seeds, you only need to eat them in small amounts and moderate amounts, and there will be no problem!
In addition to sunflower seeds, what other foods should we try to avoid for dogs?
(1) Chocolate: it will cause the dog’s life to be dangerous, and it must not be eaten;
(2) Medium spring onions and onions: not eaten, it will cause severe anemia in dogs;
(3) Chicken bones: It is not allowed to eat, because the middle of the chicken bones is perforated, it is particularly easy to bite, and it will scratch the dog’s intestines, so as not to cause the intestines and other phenomena;
(4) Small bones: big bones can be eaten (leg bones, stick bones), etc.;
(5) Fishbones: Dogs can eat fish, but the owner must pick out the fish bones so as not to get stuck in the dog’s throat;
(6) Raw eggs: Don’t eat it, it will cause diarrhea, which is not conducive to the growth of hair;
(7) Raw meat: It is not allowed to eat, it will cause indigestion and cause diarrhea, and it is easy to breed bacteria
(8) Milk: especially puppies, do not drink it, it will cause diarrhea;
(9) Grapes: Because some dogs are more sensitive to grapes, it is recommended that you never try them. In severe cases, it will cause problems with the dog’s kidney function;
(10) Wild mushrooms: Do not feed to dogs. Many wild mountain mushrooms have toxins and can be fatal;
(11) Irritating foods: more irritating foods (chili, pepper), anyway You should try not to let them come into contact with them.
(12) Foods with high oil content: puppies can’t eat, they can’t digest them;
(13), animal internal organs: this is especially important, especially puppies, don’t eat more. Because the organs of animals contain vitamin A, dogs cannot absorb this ingredient, which can cause poisoning and other diseases such as calcium deficiency in dogs.
- Can dogs eat pumpkins?
- Can dogs eat sweet potatoes?
- An dogs eat soba?
- Is it okay to feed my dog a roasted sweet potato?
- Don’t give your dog grapes!
Update time: 2021.8.31