Samoyed basic information
The Samoyed (English: Samoyed) is a working dog. It is named after the Siberian herdsman Samoyed. It is known for its endurance and robust physique. Therefore, European explorers used the dog to pull sleds for North and South Pole expeditions. Alert, powerful, very lively, noble, and elegant. Because it is a working dog in cold regions, it has a very thick coat that can withstand various weather conditions. Its Satsuma smile may represent the dog’s actual character, that is, calm, fine, cheerful, and friendly to people. At the end of the 19th century, fur merchants imported this dog into the United States, Europe, and other places to obtain fur profit, and it was widely cultivated and reproduced all over the world.
Samoyed/Samoyed species distribution
Samoyed dogs are named after the Siberian herders, Samoyed, and have always been used to pull sleds and guard reindeer. Samoyed dogs are known for their endurance and strong physique. European explorers use this dog for exploration work in the North and South Pole. This dog has many coat colors, generally black, black and white, black and yellow-brown, and eventually, white coat breeds dominate.
For many years, the history and legends about Samoyed dogs are as fascinating as this kind of dog. The story begins in the Iranian Plateau, the earliest habitation of mankind. The powerful tribes drove the weak tribes (along with their families, livestock, and dogs) far away to ensure that they have sufficient food. The expelled tribe walked north, through China (one of the world’s cultural centers), and came to the vast tundra between the White Sea and the Yesenyi River. They found it safe behind the natural barrier of ice and snow. These people are the Samoyeds, the earliest inhabitants of Saints. The Samoyeds are considered to be a transitional nation of pure-bred Mongols and Finns. Here, they have been living a nomadic life, herding reindeer. The Samoyed keep dogs to help them herd reindeer, and they also let dogs be their company.
After centuries, Samoyed dogs have remained purebred. Among all modern dog breeds, the Samoyed dog is one of the closest to the original dog breed, but it does not have the blood of mixed wolf or fox. The sunshine and ice of the Arctic gave the Samoyed a white fur with ice-like luster. The long-term relationship with people gives Samoyed dogs an incredible understanding. Being a protector of reindeer rather than a killer makes Samoyed dogs unique. The happy, childish character of the primitive inhabitants can be found in every Samoyed dog.
The origin of Samoyed/Samoyed development
For many years, the history and legends about Samoyed dogs are as fascinating as this kind of dog. The story begins in the Iranian Plateau, the earliest habitation of mankind. The powerful tribes drove the weak tribes (along with their families, livestock, and dogs) far away to ensure that they have sufficient food. The expelled tribe walked north, through China (one of the world’s cultural centers), and came to the vast tundra between the White Sea and the Yesenyi River. They found it safe behind the natural barrier of ice and snow. These people are the Samoyeds, the earliest inhabitants of Saints. The Samoyeds are considered to be a transitional race of pure Mongolians and Finns. Here, they have been living a nomadic life, herding reindeer. The Samoyed keep dogs to help them herd reindeer, pull sleds, and let dogs be their company.
After centuries, Samoyed dogs have remained purebred. Among all modern dog breeds, the Samoyed is one of the closest breeds to the original, but it does not have a mixed wolf or fox pedigree. The Arctic sunshine and ice gave the Samoyed a white coat with ice-like luster. The long-term relationship with people gives the Samoyed an incredible understanding. Being a protector of reindeer rather than a killer makes the Samoyed unique characteristics. The happy, childish character of the primitive inhabitants can be found in every Samoyed dog.
Being with people for a long time did not make the Samoyed become pampered. As a working dog, the Samoyed kept an unsurpassed record in the polar expedition. The sled dogs of the early polar expeditions (9 male dogs, average weight 26.63 kg; 9 female dogs, average weight 22.91 kg) worked day after day under extremely harsh conditions. Although they have to pull materials equivalent to one and a half times their own weight, they are still happy and carefree. This is the typical character of Samoyed. Every expedition, Jackson-Harmsworth, Duc d’Abruzzi, Borchqrevink, Shackleton, Scott (Scott), and the most famous Ward. Amundsen (Roald Amundsen) successfully reached the Antarctic in 1911, these all add brilliance to the history of the Samoyed.
Less than 100 years after being brought to the UK, the Samoyed dog has been the focus of attention at every dog show. Queen Alexandra likes this dog very much, and today there are descendants of her Samoyed dogs in many breeders in Britain and the United States. Samoyed dogs are now found all over the world. The Samoyed born in Siberia crossed the equator safely and remained healthy in the snow and ice of Antarctica. The Samoyed dog returned from the Antarctic expedition experienced the test of the Australian sunshine and returned to England, where he made his home.
Samoyed/Samoyed physiological indicators
At birth-14 ounces to 18 ounces (0.8 kg-1 kg)
1 week-1.5 lbs-2 lbs (1.3 kg-1.8 kg)
2 weeks-2 lbs-3 lbs (1.8 kg-2.7 kg)
3 weeks-3 lbs-4 lbs (2.7 kg-3.6 kg)
4 weeks-4 lbs-5 lbs (3,6 kg-5.6 kg)
5 weeks-5 lbs.-8 lbs. (5.6 kg-7.25 kg)
6 weeks-7.75 lbs-8.75 lbs (7 kg-7.9 kg)
7 weeks-9 lbs to 12 lbs (8.1 kg -10.8 kg)
8 weeks-11 lbs to 14 lbs (10 kg to 12.7 kg)
Samo weight standard after 3 months: (male and female) 7.5–12.5 kg for 3 months
4 months 11.5–18.5kg
5 months 15.5–25.5 kg
6 months 15.5–28.5 kg
The weight basically no longer increases from July to August
Samoyed dog character characteristics
The Samoyed dog has a very attractive appearance and is strong but not troublesome: white fur, smiling face, and black and smart eyes. It is known as a smiling angel and is a very beautiful dog. The Samoyed is very strong and fast. It is an excellent guard dog, but it is also a gentle and friendly dog that does not cause trouble but can maintain a position.
Many families in modern times like to keep Samoyed dogs, the reason is that this kind of dog can maintain the relationship between neighbors. Although the Samoyed dog has a very good physique, it never provokes “others” easily, including other pets and crowds. When encountering other “people”, it always stays quietly, as long as the other party does not provoke it, it will not take the initiative to provoke it.
For humans, it is rare to put their paws on people like other dog breeds that are close to humans. It is guessed that it is because, in the ice and snow, humans don’t like keeping dogs standing up to show affection at every turn, so the Samoyed dogs slowly become quieter during the long-term breeding. Of course, this is only a speculation of some people in the circle, and the main reason is still their nature.
Although Samoyed dogs have vigorous energy, they never like to yell when there is nothing to do, so even in urban families, they will not bark and disturb their neighbors because they protest against loneliness and boredom.
But they are likely to be upset at home because of curiosity or boredom. But compared with constant yelling, of course, the owner would rather pack his things after going home than carrying the fruit basket to the door to apologize.
Advantages and disadvantages of Samoyed
1, white hair;
2, the eyes are clear;
3, the personality is very gentle;
4, kindness and friendship;
5. There is a “Samoyed smile”.
1. Innately intelligent, full of trust in people, whoever tells him to get close;
2. Never actively quarrel with other dogs. Only other dogs bully him. When going for a walk, other puppies often yell at him. He is also friendly and wagging his tail;
3. Every time a guest comes, as long as he hears the door ling, he will run over to call you, until you open the door. If a familiar guest is a downstairs, if you let him go down, he will run down to pick up the guest and take the guest on the floor. If the guest walks slowly, he will look back and wait until the guest is up. Before the belt.
4. Can understand what you are saying. However, for my own benefit, sometimes I just don’t listen. Once my husband was on a business trip and no one took him for a walk. I saw him uncomfortable and took him out. He rushed forward as usual. After an hour, I felt pain all over. For a few days, to prevent him from rushing forward, he held him tightly when he was about to rush, but when my husband came back and took him out, we met on the road. When I called him, he looked at him. In the beginning, I didn’t hear him, and he ignored the calls. Later, my colleague felt strange and called him. He immediately ran over to express his friendship.
5. Every time you take him out, as long as you change your clothes, he will run around happily, and there will be a lot of anxious sounds in his mouth.
(1) More selfish
1. When going out, one is to bury your head and rush forward, two is to have a good friend, and the master tells him to ignore it, and the third is that he wants you to take him out, and when you don’t need to do it, he will behave like a child and sleep. Lose your temper on the ground.
2.can’t accept loneliness
It’s not the kind of guard dog. He hopes that someone will be with him from time to time. If there is no one at home, well, go home and watch his masterpieces. The floor is full of objects he dragged and bitten. The purpose is to treat him better and more. Winner, pull the urine in the living room (because when there are people in the house, all the rooms are his sight, he is never forbidden to pass, and only when there is no one in the house, he closes the door and leaves the living room for him to move around), Usually, there are people in the house, he will go to the toilet to pull, and then ask you to flush.
Samoyed dog feeding method
At different stages of puppies’ development, the growth ability of various parts of the body is unbalanced. In the first 3 months after birth, the main body and weight are increased. From the 4th month to the 6th month, the main body length is increased. After 7 months, the main body height is increased. This depends on the different developmental stages of the dog. Need nutrients, determine the type and amount of feed fed. After the puppies break away from the bitch and enter an independent life, regular quantification should be done throughout the growth and development period.
first day of birth
The above standard is the number of large dogs. Dogs of other body types are determined according to the situation. Generally speaking, after feeding the puppies, there is still food left in the food bowl, indicating that there is too much food; on the contrary, continue after the dog eats Licking the food bowl with your tongue or looking at the owner indicates that there is not enough food to eat. Note: The feed for the puppies must be high-quality and fresh, prepared separately, and fed freshly (except commercial food), and pay attention to hygiene to prevent gastrointestinal diseases. The owner of the puppies must personally feed the dog, and make sure that the place is fixed regularly and quantitatively every day, and no food is given during non-feeding hours to avoid bad habits for the dog. And carefully observe the puppies’ eating behavior, especially during the group breeding period, to prevent a small number of puppies from overeating, causing other puppies to eat or not eat unevenly. Because puppies have weak digestive functions, they should not start to feed too hard food and feed more rotten (processed) food. Don’t feed bones and other hard or cold foods too early, so as not to affect the development of the dog.
Food suitable for puppies
(1) Food exclusively for puppies: such as dog food and canned food.
(2) Calcium: Supplement natural calcium products with high content to promote the development of puppies’ bones and teeth.
(3) Milk powder for puppies: There is a special goat milk powder for puppies.
(4) Egg yolk: The advantage of egg yolk is that it is not only rich in protein but also easy to digest and absorb vitamin A, calcium, and minerals.
(5) Vitamins and minerals: For puppies with poor physical fitness, consider supplementing some additional vitamins and minerals.
(6) Meat: Although cattle, pigs, chicken, etc. are excellent foods, when feeding puppies, it is advisable to choose fat-free parts because fat is easy to deteriorate. But feed cooked meat, don’t feed raw meat!
(7) Appropriately eat lecithin for hairdressing, trace element tablets, etc.
Samoyed dog identification and selection
Male dogs 53.3-59.7 cm, female dogs 48.3-53.3 cm.
The skull and snout are proportional to the body shape and the size of the skull and are slightly triangular.
The snout must have a certain thickness. The beard must never be cut off.
Ears are strong and thick; erect; triangular with slightly rounded tips. The size of the ears is determined according to the size of the head and the overall size. The distance is relatively wide, near the outer edge of the head, it appears flexible; it is covered by many hairs, and the hair is plump. Ear mobility is good,
There are hairs in the ears, and the hairs in front of the ears are numerous and upright. The length of the ear should be the same as the distance from the inner base of the ear to the outer corner of the eye.
Darker eyes are better, they are more open and deep; almond-shaped; the lower eyelid points toward the base of the ear. Dark circles are ideal. Round eyes or protruding eyes are a fault; blue eyes are a disqualification. The black nose is ideal, but the brown, liver color, and charcoal gray are also acceptable. Sometimes, the color of the nose will change with age and climate. The teeth are strong, neat, strong, with a scissors bite. The upper and lower jaws should not be excessively protruding. Black lips and sensuality are better, and the corners of the mouth are upturned as if they are smiling. The lips at the corners of the mouth must not droop.
With a strong neck, the Samoyed dog is muscular, proudly lifted, and appears full of power. When standing at attention, it supports the noble head on the slanted shoulders. The neck and shoulders combine to form a graceful arch. The chest is deep, and the ribs expand outward from the spine until the sides become flat. The shoulders are not affected and the forelimbs Samoyed can move freely. It cannot be a barrel chest. The ideal depth should reach the elbow, and the deepest part should be behind the forelegs, about the position of the ninth rib. A chest that is deep enough allows the heart and lungs in the chest cavity to be protected by the body, and the depth of the chest is greater than its width.
The waist and withers are the highest points of the back, and the waist is strong and slightly arched. The back is straight (from withers to waist) and is of medium length. The proportion of its body is “close to square”, that is, the length is about 5% more than the height. Females may be longer than males. The abdominal muscles are tight, well-shaped, and form a beautiful curve with the back of the chest (abdomen). The hips are slightly slanted and plump and must extend to a very slight base of the tail.
The tail length is moderate. If the tail is drooping, the length of the tailbone should extend to the hock joint. The tail is covered with long hair, which is curled on the back or to the side when alert, and when it is resting, the tail will be lowered when there is a Samoyed dog. The tail root should not be too high or too low, and the tail movement is flexible. Two curled tails are flaws. The situation where the tail is higher than the back can only occur once during the game.
The forelegs are parallel and straight, and the forelegs are strong. Because the chest is deep, the forelimbs are longer. The height from the ground to the elbow is about 55% of the height from the ground to the upper edge of the shoulder blade. Dogs with short limbs are not up to standard. The shoulders should be long and inclined at an angle of about 43°, and the shoulders should be strong. The distance between the upper edges of the shoulders and feet is approximately 2.5-3.8 cm (1-1.5 inches). The thighs are well developed, the knee joints form an angle of about 45 degrees with the ground, and the tarsal joints are at the lower 1/3 of the shoulder height.
Viewed from the back, the dog’s hind limbs are parallel when standing naturally. Straight or cow-like knee joints do not meet the standard. Only when the dog is fully exercised can it be determined whether the knee joint is cow-like. Dogs with short limbs are not up to standard. Strong shoulders. The distance between the upper edges of the shoulder blades is approximately 2.5 to 3.8 cm (1-1.5 inches). The feet are large, long, and relatively flat, resembling hare feet, with toes slightly separated; the toes are arched, the pads are thick and hard, and there are protective hairs between the toes. In a natural standing state, the feet are neither abducted nor turned inward but should be vertical, but when pulling the cart, the feet can be turned slightly inward. Foot abduction, dove-like toes, round or cat-like feet; excessively separated toes are all disadvantages. The hair on the feet is not necessary, and there are more female dogs than male dogs.
The back of the Samoyed dog cannot be too long. The weak back makes it unable to perform its normal work and loses its value as a working dog. At the same time, a too compact body is also very important for a towing dog. unfavorable. Based on this consensus, enthusiasts can use this as a reference when purchasing. That is, for a top-grade Samoyed dog, the body is not long but the muscularity is allowed to be an exception; and the chest must be very deep, the ribs should be well expanded, and the neck must be strong. The forequarters are straight and the waist is very strong. Males appear majestic in appearance without unnecessary aggressiveness; females appear delicate in appearance or structure but do not appear weak in temperament.
The female may have a slightly longer back than the male. They all appear to have great endurance in appearance, but they are not rough. Because the chest is deep, the legs must be long enough. A dog with short legs is very unpopular. The hind hips appear to be very well developed, the hind knee joints are moderately inclined, and any problems with the hind knee joints or cow limbs will be severely punished. Like the curly bichon, the Samoyed has a double coat. The body is covered with a short, thick, soft, flocculent, skin-closed undercoat. The coat is thicker and longer hair that passes through the undercoat. , The coat stands upright on the surface of the body and must not be curled. The coat forms a “bib” around the neck and shoulders. The quality of hair is related to whether it can withstand various climates, so quality is more important than quantity. A drooping coat is unwelcome. Grasping these basic points and combining the relevant standard data, you can basically buy a good Samoyed dog.
1. Try to choose puppies born around 40 days old. Because the puppies of this period have not yet separated from their mothers, they will play a vital role in the cultivation of the relationship with their owners in the future. Dogs have a strong memory of their first owner after leaving their mothers so that they will know and maintain affection even after many years of separation. But it should be noted that since the appearance of the dog before 5 months has not been determined, there is a certain risk, so you have to choose after carefully weighing it. (The following experience is also written for the purchase of Samoyed puppies for about 40 days)
2. Pay attention to whether the parents’ appearance is good, and choose the strongest puppies in the same litter. You should choose a dog that neither flinches in front of strangers nor aggressive. You can put the puppies on their backs with their belly up. If the puppies can actively rollover, it is deemed to have passed.
3. The puppies with pure coat color and less variegated should be selected. Don’t listen to any explanations about depilation. Dog’s depilation is normal, just like human hair loss, but can you say that baldness is also normal? So choose rich hair, which feels good when you grab it, and can automatically bounce. Open puppies. During this period, there may be a small amount of lanugo in the ears, which does not affect the observation and can be purchased.
4. The eyes must be clearly almond-shaped. I don’t know what the almonds look like, so buy a pack of American almonds, just go and see. The color of the eyes must be black, clear, and transparent, without turbidity.
5. The nose should not be too long, there should be a certain width, and the nose should be black. But this period may not be completely dark, don’t be afraid.
6. Satsuma is to erect ears.
7. See if the limbs are level forward, there is no inner or outer eight.
8. In addition, check the body for lumps and the like.